Dec 20, 2012

Smiling and hard work beat laughing any time!



The other day I was in class (my natural environment as I’m a “class animal”).  A couple of my students were presenting their project in English. They had some pronunciation problems, some grammar mistakes, some difficulties to convey their ideas BUT they started and finished their presentation in English!!!  Other students were laughing (curiously, the ones not brave enough to make their presentations in English!).

When they finished their presentation I congratulated them. They were worried, uneasy, having bad thoughts about their grade… I smiled and said “ I appreciate, the effort Touristologists good presentation!” …They smiled back!

Now… YES! They work hard and smile. This is a very powerful combination!!!

I’m sure their next presentation will be better. I’m sure they will express their ideas in English in their professional environment. As sure as practice makes perfect! As sure as Touristology is a science!

I remember when I began to talk /write/THINK in English. It was difficult BUT rewarding at the same time. There were people laughing at my strong accent, my silly mistakes… I smiled and kept working!

I remember when I began to write code, to think like a programmer does. It was painful, stressful BUT… when the code works (not always in the way you plan, never in the schedule you promise!!!)  you feel like master and commander! There were people laughing at my slow pace, my tendency to use graphical interfaces and to avoid command line editors (not anymore!)… I smiled and kept working!

Nowadays, I convey my ideas in English! Far away from perfect and with strong Catalan accent. As I always said at the beginning of a class, seminar, conference… “I speak something similar to English BUT enough to convey my ideas!” What about the People who were laughing?… Well they are still laughing!!!

Nowadays, I plan internet oriented business models and technological schemes; I help to do the programs. I understand the problems that appear during the process and I know how to choose the right solution and approach. I found that it’s easier to convey my ideas to other programmers and to get almost exactly what the customer wants and near to the schedule we agree upon. What about the People who were laughing, saying that it is not possible for an old chap to learn new things?… Well they are still laughing!!!

Are you working hard enough Touristologist? Are you smiling in the process? If your answer is yes forget about the naysayers, the “I-laugh-even-though-I-don’t-know”.  You will be ready for the next quantum leap while they will be laughing in an eternal circle!

Do you think that smiling and hard work have something to do with this beautiful Montserrat Caballe’s  performance of "Chi il bel sogno di Doretta" La Rondine by… Are you kidding me? Puccini, of course!!!  



SMILE, WORK HARD, BECOME A TOURISTOLOGIST!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment