Nov 19, 2014

Copyologist from the beginning… to the end?

The other day, I was helping my son with some homework. I was trying to develop a framework for him. (You know how much I love frameworks , don’t you? 
I created a table with the basic ideas that he had to develop:
And I gave an example to him…
Then, I said to my son - Now, it is your turn, give me an example!
To my surprise, He didn’t provide any example. He just repeat (copy) the table and my example, then, proudly, said to me - Finished!
When I complained that he had done ANYTHING, he complains back - you don’t know how to teach. At school we have to repeat everything. This is what learning is all about!
WOW! I had a “déjà vu” moment!!! Some of my students (some of them will become Touristologists, others will just get a piece of paper proving that they stayed four years in the University copying like crazies) think the same! I gave them theories: 1,2,3, theory, Revenue Management Framework, Servuction, Strategic triangle, Bermuda Triangle… then I asked them for examples. They reply that I have to give them some examples first.
Fair enough! So, I show them examples related to the latest tendencies in Tourism, the ones that then I convey here in OUR blog!
Then, what I classify as the most puzzling moments in my career as a Touristologist builder happens…
1) Sometimes when they have to give a presentation or do the final test, they just repeat my examples or copy the ones created by other Touristologists then, I give them a low grade.
They, strongly, complain - this is not fair!  With other teachers we memorize definitions and examples and writing them down always means a good grade.
2) Other students complain because they have to use Touristology’s theory (like chain of value) in each presentation.
- Jordi, we know, perfectly, this theory
- Ok! Can you provide and ORIGINAL example of its application? Because, if the only thing that you are able to do is to repeat my examples…. then you only prove that you are able to copy.
Let me clarify this once and for all…
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DEVELOP YOUR OWN EXAMPLES THEN YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND THE THEORY!!!!
You are not tired of this theory. You are tired of not understanding it! You are tired of copying ideas from other Touristologists. The day that you create your own ideas I guarantee… you will enjoy using it! The day that you get a promotion because of it; you will feel proud of yourself and… I will feel even prouder!!!
Do you want to copy from the beginning to the end? Well, NOT on my watch! I’m a Touristologist builder you have to fall in love with tourism, don’t copy, don’t imitate; find your own way… Become a Touristologists!!!
If I believe that allowing copyologists’ behavior you will get a high paying job or you will be able to set up the new killer start up. I would allow this, until then… I will keep swimming against the tide… to the end!!!
For myself..
For the future of Touristology as a science
And, above all else, for respect to the Touristologists I mention here.
By the way, while I was finishing this post, my son came to me with the table full of original examples.  He gave it to me together with a kiss… I kiss him back… Like in a film this song wraps up the magic moment!!!
CAN I HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR FROM YOU?!?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment