May 20, 2014

Don’t use hammers for specialized tourism!!!! Neither for the Technological Scheme… PART 2



Life and Entrepreneurship 5

The other day we talked about this Maslow’s idea “If the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail!”
As usual, I try to explore any idea applied to Touristology with two hands, one related to the Business Model, the other with the Technological Scheme.  In the post from the other day, we had this timeless scenario… We have the opportunity to create from scratch a tourism enterprise focused on specialized tourism. We know that the most critical action is to select the right team.
We talked about the Business Model hand and some mistakes that I swear to never repeat again.
Let’s go now to explore the possible implications of this great sentence from Maslow in the Technological scheme hand. Shall, We?
Can something similar happen? Or it is assumed that experts in computers, programming, systems administration… have all the same set of abilities and attitudes? Of course not! If you want to create something new, you will need a team of developers able to create the best tool suited for the job!!! If you are not aware you can end up with people to whom….everything looks like a nail.
When you are looking for this developer /programmer, be sure that you are able to distinguish them from a system administrator OR the  I-want-to-be-the-project-Manager- because- my- times- of- coding- were- away- long- time- ago OR the To-Make?-Never!-Always-better-to-buy.
I will share with you some red flags that help me to detect these characters. Remember, you want to create the new, new thing, you need a creator an artist, neither someone able to fix the pipes, nor someone able to ask others what you already know how to ask… You would need someone able to make things running through these pipes!
Red Flag number 1:  Good programmers always carry their computer with them. He/She is an artist which uses programs to express themselves. So, their motto is “NOT without my computer!!!” Some of them just carry a tablet, but only because they have everything they need in the cloud (Do you know about codenvy?). My computer is not a tool I use in my profession…  It is the medium through I express my art!



Red Flag number 2: Good programmers create an environment to develop and stick with it until they don’t have other options and have to upgrade or change it. They don’t like to install, repair… they want to create something!!! Are they good at maintenance? Usually they are, but only for survival Instinct! It is not their goal! If you talk with them and they are talking a lot about how they install the last version and always use the latest one… just remember, there is a great chance that in the middle of the process He/She will ask for upgrades without a good reason… the reason is that She/He gets bored of programming and finds more fun in upgrading or trying the new cloud service (GAE, OpenShift, AWS… you name it!)
Red Flag number 3:  They want you to use the best PMS (Property Management System), Channel Manager, CRM… The best? The one that they already know how to use, of course!
Maslow helps me!!!! As they only know a hammer   (this PMS / CRM/Channel Manager…) all the business model and technological schemes seems a nail (generic tourism selling the usual thing!!!!).
Don’t get me wrong, I love system administrators, project managers and technological architects and they are very valuable to any enterprise and project BUT if you want to create the new, new thing… you need a creator, and artist… a programmer!
Good luck in your search Touristologists!!! Sometimes it seems impossible but in the end passion and perseverance always win…
I have a confession to make. I ALREADY FOUND THEM!
They were always close to me, but I was unable to see them! Now, it is official I will become a Web-Engineers builder too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment